English Muffin Bread
Easier to make than the muffin form, but tastes just as incredible!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 8
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrates 27g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 5 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons Dry Active Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups warm Milk
- 1/2 cup Warm Water
- Cornmeal (I used 2 tbs for each loaf)
- In a large mixing OR the bowl of your stand mixer, add your water, milk, sugar, yeast and salt.
- Add 3 cups out of the 5 cups of flour and mix until incorporated.
- Add the additional 2 cups of flour and mix until blended without over mixing.
- The dough will be sticky, so lightly flour your hands to handle.
- Grease 2 loaf pans and sprinkle 1 tbs of cornmeal in the bottom of each pan.
- Divide the dough in half and place into the pans.
- Sprinkle 1tbs cornmeal on the top of bread loaves, cover with a tea towel and let it rise in a warm place until doubled in size. appx 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Remove tea towel after 30 min rise and place into oven and bake for 35-40 min or until golden brown and when tapped, loaf sounds hallow.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
Adapted from Little House Living
The Kneady Homesteader http://thekneadyhomesteader.com/
Basic white bread recipe:
3/4 cup warm water
1 pkg yeast (2tsp)
1 tsp salt
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs shortening or butter
1/2 cup warm water + 2 tbs milk powder or 1/2 cup warm milk
3 cups flour (approx)
In medium bowl mix yeast sugar and warm water. Allow to proof. (Wait 5 minutes if using traditional yeast or just mix if using instant)
Add salt veg oil and warm milk.
Add 2 cups of water. Dough should be quite sticky. Stir until well mixed.
Now add flour 1/4 cup at time and stir until to stiff to stir.
Turn out onto floured board or counter.
Knead. Need until no longer sticky and dough is smooth.
Place in oiled bowl and cover with tea towel.
Rise 1 hour.
Push down and shape into loaf shape.
Oil bread pan and place dough into bread pan.
Oil top very lightly to prevent drying out.
COver with plastic wrap.
Let rise 30 minutes.
Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes until medium brown.
Turn bread out and wrap in tea towel until cool.
*recipe credit goes to my sister-friend, Naida Robinson
Credit goes to Naida