Cream of Chicken and Rice Soup
A hearty, thick, creamy soup..... and one of my family's favorites!
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 102
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 12g
Saturated Fat 7g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrates 19g
Dietary Fiber 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 stick OR 8 tbs butter
- 8 tbs all purpose flour
- 8 cups of milk
- 2 boneless, skinless cooked chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 home canned jar of sliced carrots OR 1 store bought can
- 1/2 chopped small onion
- sweet basil
- parsley flakes
- I start by throwing a couple of chicken breasts into my crock pot in the morning. Allow them to cook throughout the day. This will make throwing together this soup, super easy!
- Start by making a rue.
- Add your butter to a heavy bottomed dutch oven pot. Melt over med/low heat.
- Once melted, add chopped onions and cook until translucent.
- Add flour and stir vigorously using a wire whisk. Cook the flour for about 30 seconds.
- Slowly begin to add your milk. Whisk in between adds. I add 1 cup of milk at a time.... whisking well to make sure you eliminate any lumps.
- Once all combined, begin adding in your seasonings. I add a LOT! About 4 tbs sweet basil, 2 tbs parsley, 4 tbs chives, and salt & pepper until it tastes just right. I am really bad at measuring, and everyone's tastes are different.... so start with a little and add from there until you get the seasoning YOU like.
- Continue to whisk and stir and bring your soup to a boil.
- Once it boils, reduce heat to low.
- Add carrots and chicken.
- Simmer on low until hot and ready, usually about 10 minutes or so.
- Serve and Enjoy!
The Kneady Homesteader http://thekneadyhomesteader.com/